Monday, November 8, 2010

'English'

I was browsing through the website for the local publication 'The Baltic Times' (which I was considering writing for on my arrival here in Riga) and found an article about the Latvian-Hong Kong co-production film 'Amaya'.

The article, with the terrible title of 'Lithuanian and Latvian movie from Hong Kong', is so badly written I had to laugh. Here's an example of the wonderfully pithy and coherent writing:

The movie tells a story about a man whose life-style many normal human beings would like to enjoy, in case there would not be obstacles in terms of financial issues and personal obligations to other people.

I've heard from several sources that the quality of the periodical has deteriorated from what it used to be, and I understand that the writer is not a native speaker of English, but that level of English is simply unacceptable.

Oh, and please feel free to criticise my writing, I am aware that sometimes I find myself in a glass house too.

No comments:

Post a Comment