Thursday, April 28, 2011

Foraging Fling I: Coltsfoot

My first forage find of the season was unplanned really, and I only collected one type of plant. But I thought I would post it here nonetheless. Over the Easter weekend we had gloriously warm weather and I decided to go for a toddle through the forest. Spring is only just starting to burst into life and there is still somewhat a lack of colour, this is probably why these Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) jumped out at me as I was walking along the forest path.


I didn't know if they had any use but I picked them anyway because they were rather pretty and smelled like honey. I later found out they can be eaten and are used to treat coughs and other lung ailments like asthma and bronchitis. Apparently the roots can be eaten but it has gone out of favour since the discovery of toxic alkaloids in the plant which may cause liver damage (see video below). The flowers come out a while before the leaves develop, which, of course, can also be used against chest and throat irritations and, according to the informative video below, as a substitute for salt...rad. I'll have to remember to go back for the leaves, but in the meanwhile I'll dry these bad boys up and keep them for some anti-cough tea if I ever need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment